Monday 8 June 2015

The authors we love: Terry Pratchett


I was about nine or ten years old and a regular visitor to Penistone Library. A kindly librarian must have seen me progress from kids' books to young adult pretty quickly and anticipated my leap to adult books because I remember her coming up to me and saying, ‘why don’t you try this author’, handing me a book.

The author was Terry Pratchett and the book was “Guards! Guards!” I took it home and devoured it. After a couple of days I went back to the library and started from the very first Discworld novel, quickly progressed through them all. I made sure I bought them all, pocket money permitting. A new Discworld novel from then on became an event.   

I would ring the release date in my diary and make sure I purchased the new book on that day, taking it home and reading almost half of it before I would tell myself to slow down, enjoy it. Of course it would not last past the next day, but that was OK, because I could always start again with “The Colour of Magic”.

It is always a wonderful feeling when you connect with an author, and I would like to thank that librarian - whose name, I am afraid has been lost to time - for introducing me to Sir Terry, whose passing recently I mourned like it was a relative.


Mark Crossland




P.S.  If you have your own Favourite Author story, why not e-mail it to walkley.library@gmail.com and let us share it with all our blog readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment